HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, January 15, 2016

Gianna D; she's authentic, so is her art

The Coconut Grove Arts Festival is February 13-15, 2016. We'll be profiling some of the artists and performers who are participating this year.


Gianna DiBartolomeo, also known as Gianna D, uses mixed media to create her art.  It's abstract images, many appear like floating, painted bubbles.

This is the Miami native's third year in the Coconut Grove Arts Festival. "My first year, I showed as one of the first 'New and Emerging Artists,' " says Gianna. Well, she has emerged, now being part of the one of the largest outdoor art shows/fairs in the country.
   
Currently you can see her work at Tedd's Art Works and CocoWalk Art Gallery. She also shows at a lot of local outdoor festivals like Beaux Arts Festival and South Miami. The farthest Gianna has traveled was to Madison, WI for their Art Fair on the Square. "I also show in galleries and other venues like the Home Design & Remodeling Show. For Art Basel, I showed at Spectrum Art Fair this past year. That was exciting!" said Gianna.

The first piece Gianna sold was "House of Crayons," a doll-sized house made entirely of crayons. The buyer commissioned it for her grandchild’s art collection. 


I asked Gianna who her favorite artist is. She responded, "Wow, I don’t think I can just pick one! The first three that pop into my head are Tom Friedman, Tara Donovan, and Do-ho Suh. All are brilliant at transforming the ordinary into something exceptional."

I asked: Starry Night, Mona Lisa or Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Picasso? Ginanna responded, "Mona Lisa – that smirk!"

I asked Gianna if she would you ever consider hanging a piece or two upside down to see if people notice? She says, "Maybe I have. Art is so subjective; who’s to say what's right-side up or not?" Good point there.

Me: What is your motto, Gianna? 
Gianna: "Be authentic!"

Me: Which comic strip would you like to crawl into and spend the day?
Gianna: "Bizarro – love Piraro’s humor." 

"All my work has a back story. I believe in the importance of sharing meaningful experiences because the things we go through are shared by many. At times we may think we have had this experience that no one else can relate to, only to realize many people share this experience in their own unique way. The purpose of my work is to bridge this communication gap and make connections with viewers. In essence, my work acts as a mirror saying: I’ve been there, too," concluded Gianna.

Look for her at this February's Coconut Grove Arts Festival. Visit her website here: giannadibartolomeo.com

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love this article!

January 15, 2016 1:38 PM  
Blogger Photophix said...

Bravo.

January 15, 2016 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home