HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Things I noticed before 8 am this morning

I noticed that with the time change, I get up at 4 am now (rather than 5 am, which is still way too early). I do like Standard Time though, I don't like Day Lights Saving Time. I was at the Gym, Starbucks, the Bookstore for breakfast and was home by 8 am. Now what? Guess I'll read the Herald, minus the Local section, which I think they should replace.

I also noticed that by 7 am, the streets were spotless in the Center Grove. I've never seen this before, but this street sweeper was out and about all morning and the crew at CocoWalk has that place looking spotless, as well. Makes you wonder what all the pre-Halloween jitters are about. Early today a friend sent me a photo of the paddy wagons and such that are lying in wait at the Seminole Boat Ramp area each year. He was overwhelmed by the site. I told him it has been like that for years. I guess the city does not believe in The Secret; they are putting this out into The Universe and it could have the opposite effect one year.

I was out at the gym before 7 am; it's nice then, only about four people in the place. I wore a Bed Race t-shirt, so when I left, someone on the street stopped and asked me about the Bed Race, they asked why the King Mango Strut can afford the city services and yet the Bed Race cannot. The Strut closes down all of the Center Grove, the Bed Race does not. Is the City being unfair to the Bed Race or is it something else? I would hate to lose this event to Coral Gables or South Miami.

People still think Greenstreet is Green Street, you know, a street, not a restaurant. I had a guy in front of CocoWalk this morning ask me where it was, I could tell he was looking for a street; when I told him it was a restaurant, he was flabbergasted. I remember that happening years ago, guess it still does.

Two people this morning, strangers to me, were reading the Grapevine on their computers when I came upon them, one at the Bookstore and one at Starbucks. They approached me to tell me. This used to happen very often years ago, I still find it very freaky - "Hey Tom, I'm reading you right now!"

Speaking of Starbucks, I notice they are cheaper than Panther Coffee; I had assumed they were the same but I noticed this morning that my double macchiato is cheaper at Starbucks. And less attitude comes with it. I have a friend who goes all the way down to the Starbucks at the Deering Estate area on Old Cutler Road, he says he likes to get coffee and sit by the water, he lives around here, so I don't know why he does that since you can do that at the Starbucks next to Monty's; especially weekend mornings. It's so peaceful and pretty early in the morning and it's right on the water where you can sit and enjoy the quiet and your coffee.

I get the Grilled Veggie Wrap for breakfast at The Bookstore all the time. I love it. It's just what it sounds like, with a little olive oil. Ask for it without the lettuce. They've taken to adding lettuce lately and that ruins the whole thing.


And the Moron of the Day award goes to the Mayfair Hotel, who had their staff leaf blowing at 7:15 this morning, making more noise than should be allowed. The people on Florida Avenue and Virginia Street could kiss away their extra hour of sleep today; not to mention all the disgruntled hotel guests. Not sure what leaves they were blowing away as the city killed the big grand trees that used to be in front of the hotel.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaf Blowers are the most retarded thing since Forrest Gump left town for Vietnam. Waste money, pollute the air, waste gas or whatever, make lots of noise, and then 1 hour later, the wind blows the leaves or whatever right back to where they were before the freaking noise. Brilliant. Should be illegal, except for private houses, and the technology needs to be quieter. But hey, except for a few towns in Europe, we're still living in the middle-ages. Stupid Blowers..

November 01, 2015 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starbucks at the Deering Bay area on Old Cutler Road, he says he likes to get coffee and sit by the water, he lives around here, so I don't know why he does that since you can do that same at the Starbucks next to Monty's; especially weekend mornings. It's so peaceful and pretty early in the morning and it's right on the water where you can sit and enjoy the quiet and your coffee."

Well, I've lived right across Monty's for a Decade, and last I checked, the Starbucks there is on Bayshore Dr. You see cars, and noise, most of the time. Not water. Of course you can take your coffee to go and walk over behind Shake a Leg or Charthouse: different logistics that very few people utilize.

The Starbucks at Deering Bay, if it's the same one we stop by on the long bike trips South, on 152nd St, doesn't show you ANY water either, must be somewhere else.

As I've said a trillion times, Coconut Grove used to have exactly 5 miles of true Water Front space. It's all hidden and blocked away. Take your dogs out for a long walk from Cartegena Plaza till the toll booth past Alice Wainwright park. Try to stay as close to the water as possible. Tip: Royal Avenue, Crystal, if you look very hard. Starbucks by the water? No Existe. At least around here.

November 01, 2015 11:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Carlos, you are a broken record. Why not purchase all the waterfront land and open it up for all of us? Until then, you can get coffee at starbucks, walk a few feet and be at the marina area and enjoy the beautiful mornings there.

As for the Starbucks down by the Deering Estate, they are at 168 Street, Not 152 Street and there is water nearby at Snowden's Bridge or back, near the Deering Estate.

November 01, 2015 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mystical water views were gone long before most of us were born. Get over it.

November 01, 2015 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Water views are everywhere, but 1st U must get off your couch, out of your A/C vehicle, walk a few minutes, presto, water, water, water views everywhere, all the way from Peacock park to the entrance of Key Biscayne. And if that's not sufficient, spend a few bucks for a paddle board or kayak or a few bucks more for a skiff and explore Biscayne Bay, all the way to the Gulf stream. The Grove has it all! Jobie Steppe

November 01, 2015 1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Easy to walk from Starbucks on bayshore with coffee in hand along the water to regatta park : then return and stop at fresh market pick so fresh fruit and home ( looking forward to the earilier start). We got awesome water views all around us ....just explore.

November 01, 2015 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greenstreets used to be a men's clothing store by the same name.

November 02, 2015 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess after 11 years living in Bayshore Dr., with a top floor, privileged top view of the bay side water and sunrises on windows and balcony every morning, after walking, cycling and running and kayaking every inch of the place almost every day during that time, some of us need to "explore" more.. Some of you just don't get the point, but it's too late anyway.

November 02, 2015 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reading this now. Great read of the going ons of Coconut Grove. You should write something like this every few months or so.

November 03, 2015 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course Panther is more expensive... It's better quality coffee and they pay their employees decent wages. I'm pretty surprised to hear you touting a corporate chain over small local business. I'll never drink at Starbucks again.

November 06, 2015 9:09 AM  
Blogger David said...

Any idea on why the 2015 Bed races was canceled?

November 06, 2015 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home