HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Uber and Lyft will soon be legal in the county

Uber and Lyft will be legal in Miami-Dade County by the end of the year according to county Mayor Carlos Gimenez. I love his quote: “I’m not going to drag Uber and Lyft back into the 20th century,” he continued. “I think the taxi industry has to move into the 21st.”

I'm a fan of Uber, never tried Lyft, mostly because I don't want to be drivin around with that big pink moustache on the front of the car - maybe in November for Movember.

Last time I went to the airport a couple of months ago, my fare was $13.99. You don't have to tip, but I gave the driver five bucks. So for $18.99 I was taken to the airport from the Grove - a fraction of the cost of a yellow cab.

One of my friends drives or used to drive for Uber. She told me that she picked up one of the new landowners in the Center Grove, someone I had not met. She started talking to the guy and for some reason, he asked her, "Do you know Falco?" And she said she did and by the end of the ride she had him liking me, he was conflicted at first. So I like that about Uber, too, the drivers are part of the experience, not really like a yellow taxi where the drivers are usually on the phone or in their own world and you feel like a burden in the back of their cab.


Almost a year ago, I wrote an article for the Huffington Post called "Uber Is My New Favorite Thing," you can read about my first experience with Uber here.

And you can read the Herald story on the Mayor and Uber and Lyft's future in the county here.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I've taken dozens and dozens of rids from Lyft, and I've never seen a mustache on a car.

Broward County, who booted these companies needs to look at this as an example of living in the present world... I can't believe I just said Dade should be an example for anyone.

I guess the Broward commission was cheaper for medalion owners to purchase.

October 01, 2015 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other interesting line in the Miami Herlad story is “It can’t work both ways .... You can’t regulate half the industry but not the other half.”

Really? Take a trip to London where you have highly regulated black cabs vs less regulated mini-cabs. They have been operating together for years; two tiers, operating under two different models, servicing two different market segments, at to different price points ... and why? because there are two different service levels.

Regulated yellow cabs need to up their level of professionalism and quality of service if they want to survive.

October 02, 2015 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home