HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, August 14, 2015

She would have loved the old Grove

This first ran on July 27, 2012, when there was still a semblance of the Grove. So many of the places she mentions from just three years ago are gone, even Coby Bell is gone (he was an actor on Burn Notice).

This is a comment someone left, I thought it was so beautiful I'm posting it here. It was an anonymous comment. I wish she had signed her name:


grove

I was turning 50. In over 20 years, I hadn't taken a trip without my husband or children. I had been watching and loving Burn Notice for sometime. But, what impressed me was the Grove. The images of the neighborhood, the people were so attractive. During the winter before my trip, I planned my "escape." I researched the different areas of Miami. I worked an another job to earn the money to pay for the trip. And I dreamed of the time I would have.

Finally, I got there. And it was more than I hoped. I stayed at the Mutiny. It was lovely. The people took care of me. At night, I would walk around the Expo Center. I would watch the boats and sometimes get a glimpse of the show. I never intruded. It wasn't my style. I kinda wish it had been. I ate at Monty's. I loved the Chart House. I think I gained ten pounds in the Grove alone. I went to Cutler Bay. I visited the University of Miami. I walked the beach. And I walked around the Grove. I had Cuban coffee at the Grove Book Store and the Green Street Cafe. I saw Coby Bell eat at the Jaguar. And all the time, I listened and watched this part of Miami It became a "heart home."


One thing I understood was why Burn Notice was perfect for the Grove and the Grove was perfect for Burn Notice. It was a small corner of the Miami World filled with color and life. It was tucked away among brighter lights and made it's own music. It wasn't the same as the other, bigger places. Yet, it had a flavor and style and flow. Like Burn Notice.


Burn Notice will go on no matter what happens. So will the Grove. But, sometimes you just want to live in the magic.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
Your introduction to this letter-- "(This first ran...when there was still a semblance of the Grove. So many of the places she mentions...are gone, even Coby Bell is gone [he was an actor on Burn Notice])"--doesn't make any sense. First of all, the places mentioned in the letter are still here: the Mutiny, Green Street, the Bookstore, Monty's, boats, Cuban coffee, "Cutler Bay," etc. The Convention Center isn't here, but that's because Burn Notice ended. And before you go off on Sarnoff, or the city, or Grovites "who just don't care" for demolishing the convention center, we have a beautiful public park nearing completion THAT YOU STILL HAVEN'T COVERED since irresponsible rumors on of it being a private park, which appeared on your blog, were debunked months ago. I think the writer of the letter would have enjoyed walking around a well landscaped public space about as much as walking around the derelict Convention Center at night; perhaps even more.

Are you unhappy here in the Grove? Why do you talk it down? If you are unhappy, why not cash out your Grove area condo and move? Really. Your blog drips with sardonic posts, sarcasm, and veiled attacks on your certain residents. Why waste your time with all that negativity?

Please change.

Allen Pertuz

PS If you have the courage and character, feel free to publish this on your blog.

August 14, 2015 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Won't miss the decrepit, huge Eye Sore we called "Expo-Center" or that piece-of-crap TV show enclosed in-there.

For once, after over a decade of criticizing Sarnoff and the City Hall devious political B.S., I'll say something positive:

That Regatta Park area there is looking pretty damn good. Just taking a peek from the outside, they've been building a green, open area, gardens, bike paths, lots of trees and palms, some views..

Wayyyy, wayyy better than that Burnt Crap Expo Center Eye Sore, a useless concrete parking lot for decades, only good thing many of us ever missed was that one The Doors concert.

August 14, 2015 10:49 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

You are right, I didn't realize that the only thing gone is Burn Notice since the lady's letter was first published. Sorry about that.

As for the park, I'm not sure what there is to write as it is not open yet. I didn't know you could get into the park to check it out. I was there with Monty one day and we couldn't get in. I thought it was blocked off. I was waiting for a grand opening of some sort to make a story out of that. The Parks Dept. has been mum, I checked with the BID and was told the same thing, no news from the parks dept. They do say that they are trying to open on Labor Day.

As for what I like and don't like about the Grove, well that's my opinion. I am not the Chamber of Commerce and I won't publish lies and the fact that everything is great, when it's not. I don't wake up miserable every day, but I get tons of emails complaining about everything and anything and that sort of sets the tone for what I write about.

As for you, why not use your real name and link back to yourself if you want to be taken seriously? I have more courage and character than you will ever have. I post my opinions with my name attached every day and I walk through the streets with my head up. After all, you are here reading my every word and following me daily. I don't have a clue who you are, except for your ISP number.

August 14, 2015 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Madeline Kraskin said...

To the first commenter,

You may not agree with Tom's opinions or tone, but it is his right to express himself. What right do you have to say "please change"?

August 14, 2015 6:01 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

To Pertuz or whatever your name is, I noticed that all your comments on the Grapevine have been negative and pretty darned nasty. You are comparing the Coconut Grove Art show to our Gifford lane Art Stroll. They are two different type of events and being a participant in the Gifford Stroll I can tell you that it is a lot of fun for participants and strollers. The artists donate a portion of their sales to charity. Then you go on about the coconut grove drum circle of which I am a founding member I Don't recall holding a formal ritual over a tree, but if we did, so what. It's still a free country. Some builders are destroying our trees and it needs to stop, If Tom changed the Grapevine, it wouldn't be as informative as it is He has a lot to say and most of it I agree with. I get the real news in the Grove from reading the Grapevine. I think you need to find another place to vent

August 15, 2015 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read once that part of the art of philosophy was to politely listen respectfully to what others were saying so that as they spoke the listener would better understand what was on the talkers mind, while at the same moment criticism would stunt people from expressing their views. Jobie Steppe

August 15, 2015 12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

.. What she wrote is beautiful and I am personally happy she saw the beauty of Coconut Grove. She saw that this place is awesome with her fresh eyes.. we do live in Magic.
Magic has a way making things disappearing and then reappear.... and its all good.

Love that "everyone" either an new and or old
Grovites have passion, and fight a good fight on what they believe about the Grove. This place does that to people :)

I have lived here a long time and remember movies and TV shows filming here come... and they do go. That sometimes includes stores and trends and follies. I love the old days but also love the new days too.
its all good :)

August 15, 2015 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

I wrote this. Many thanks for the reprint.

When I wrote this, I was entering a new journey of my life. I wanted to go somewhere I had never been. Burn Notice was a lovely frame that highlighted the life of the Grove. I decided to visit the picture.

I loved this trip. The Grove was my launching point to other parts of Miami and Southern FLA.

I would say I'm disappointed in the first two responses, but what's the use. It won't take away from my trips to the downtown or visits to the bookstore. The thing I loved about the Grove was the fact that it was a hometown in the middle of a big city. Burn Notice did your hometown great props. And that unsightly convention center served it's purpose. I hope for the residents that what has replaced it adds only more beauty to your community.

Thank you for recognizing what I was trying to say. And thank you for your continued support of your community.

September 12, 2015 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home