HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Grove lighting

This is Florida Avenue, double lights. As my friend Tim asks, "Whose bright idea was this?" Get it? Bright idea?

I remember the gas lights we had, which were quaint and village like. They were changed out in 2009.

I think that was the beginning of the end of our quaint little village. Little by little it's been whittled away. The Grove relinquished the maintenance and "ownership" of the lighting to FPL because FPL took over all expenses on fixing, repairing and maintaining the lights. As much money as the City wastes, I still am bitter about the removal of the gas lights. They were electric, but were the image of gas lights, they were here for 40 years.

One excuse given at the time was that to repair or replace the lights and poles was expensive, this was for when people drove into them or something. In all this time, I don't think any have been driven into or knocked down.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

The gas lights were a nice touch and they did contribute to the village atmosphere. I'm glad to see this blog post because I thought that I was the only one who noticed these things.

I'm not sure if anybody else notices the eyesore of the excessive number of signs in downtown Grove, especially on Main Hwy as you come into the village from the south. Between Calamari and Cocowalk, I estimate that there are 50 signs. Many are needed, but about 1/3 could be removed.

June 16, 2014 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new lights are ugly and suck, the commissioner posse calls it progress.

June 16, 2014 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...the new lights are terrible, particularly in the dark. They kill the lovely ambiance that used to exist.

June 16, 2014 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lights along Main Highway aren't the best for night driving. I've had several instances of being all Manfred Man Blinded by the Light and not seeing pedestrians at the Crosswalk until I was right at the Crosswalk.

June 16, 2014 10:06 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

I noticed this the other day too, I walk down that street every day, and was wondering how long it had been like this. Are the taller or shorter ones the long term permanent ones? which are getting removed? Seemed kind of wasteful to me.

June 25, 2014 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home