HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

There's an app for that

Ask and ye shall receive. There's an app for parking in the City of Miami. Who knew?

I mentioned in my rant yesterday, about Saturday's parking nightmare that an app or QR code or something would be perfect for parking and lo and behold there is an app.

I don't know why I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I knew about the pay by phone, where you call in the info, which is what I tried to do on Saturday, but there was never any mention by the guy on the phone about the app and I took a couple of photos here of Coconut Grove meters, which don't mention it either. The sign here doesn't even have the Location Number, so that could be a problem when the app or pay by phone asks for it.


I ran into a friends at the Bookstore and one had the app on her phone; she showed me how it works. I liked what I saw.

I downloaded it and I'll let you know how it goes the next time I use it. It did take some time to get it working and when I called a help number, which was in Canada, they told me that the City of Miami's parking sign-up, "causes lots of confusion," so I don't feel stupid, one reason is they don't take all credit cards, even though the system says they do, so when you try to use a card like American Express, it just locks the system without telling you why. The guy told me that Ft. Lauderdale, South Miami and other locations in South Florida are very easy to navigate, their systems work much smoother. They probably don't have every angle on how to screw their citizens worked into the plan like Miami does, so it works much smoother.

Here's the app. It's called Pay By Phone Parking and it works on Androids, Blackberry's and of course iPhones. It's free.

Ahh, those good old days of the Coconut Grove Meter Fairy, where is she now that we need her? 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you not know about this before? This saves so much time and headaches. I don't actually use the app, but call in because they have me card and license on file and it take about 20 secs tops. When my time is about to expire I get a text and I can easily add more time from my phone without having to run back to my car.

I did get a ticket one time even though I paid and had to go to parking court to dispute it.

November 27, 2013 8:55 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

I don't know. They usually send me press releases and things when something new happens there but I never saw it.

I usually park in surface lots and just pay one flat fee wherever I go. But now I'm excited about using the app.

November 27, 2013 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not everyone has a smartphone.
How are we supposed to deal with the problem?

November 27, 2013 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful the app has alot of clitches and ive had to go to court 4 times to despute tickets.which becomes more costly in the end and takes up so much time.so now i just use parking lots.so much sheaper and safer and dont have to worry about tickets.street parking should be free like it is everywhere else in fl

November 27, 2013 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That app has been around for like a year. I use it daily. Never had a problem.

November 27, 2013 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol this app has been around for years. I can't imagining parking without it.

November 27, 2013 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Peter Laird said...

I use this all the time, Tom. Also works in the Gables and South Miami, which is convenient.

November 27, 2013 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home